The Advancement of Learning: Building the Teaching Commons
|Lowest New Price:
|Lowest Used Price:
- Studio: Jossey-Bass
- Theatrical Release Date: Dec 31, 1969
- DVD Release Date: Dec 31, 1969
- Run Time:
- ASIN: 078798115X
- Sales Rank: 301539
Editorial Review from Product Description
A publication of The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement ofTeaching, this important resource builds on the work of Carnegie'sbest-selling books, Scholarship Reconsidered andScholarship Assessed. The Advancement of Learning exploresthe premise that the scholarship of teaching and learning holds thekey to improving the quality of higher education.
The Advancement of Learning answers questions readers arelikely to have:
In addition, authors Mary Taylor Huber and Pat Hutchings introducea new concept that expands on the scholarship of teaching andlearning--the teaching commons. As the authors explain, theteaching commons is a conceptual space in which communities ofeducators committed to inquiry and innovation come together toexchange ideas about teaching and learning and use them to meet thechallenges of educating students for personal, professional, andcivic life.
- What are the defining elements of the scholarship of teachingand learning?
- What traditions does it build on?
- What are its distinctive claims and possibilities?
- What are the implications of the scholarship of teaching andlearning for academic culture and careers?
- How does it shape the student experience?