Adding It Up: Helping Children Learn Mathematics
Jeremy Kilpatrick: Editor
Jane Swafford: Editor
Bradford Findell: Editor
National Academies Press
|Lowest New Price:
|Lowest Used Price:
- Format: International Edition
- Studio: National Academies Press
- Theatrical Release Date: Dec 31, 1969
- DVD Release Date: Dec 31, 1969
- Run Time:
- ASIN: 0309069955
- Sales Rank: 1002989
Editorial Review from Product Description
Adding It Up explores how students in pre-K through 8th grade learn mathematics and recommends how teaching, curricula, and teacher education should change to improve mathematics learning during these critical years.
The committee identifies five interdependent components of mathematical proficiency and describes how students develop this proficiency. With examples and illustrations, the book presents a portrait of mathematics learning:
- Research findings on what children know about numbers by the time they arrive in pre-K and the implications for mathematics instruction.
- Details on the processes by which students acquire mathematical proficiency with whole numbers, rational numbers, and integers, as well as beginning algebra, geometry, measurement, and probability and statistics.
The committee discusses what is known from research about teaching for mathematics proficiency, focusing on the interactions between teachers and students around educational materials and how teachers develop proficiency in teaching mathematics.